The MDM was launched more than ten years ago. Since then, it has evolved in many small steps. Now it is time to take a bigger step and fundamentally renew the technological basis of the platform.
After all, the pace of change in technology has accelerated enormously in the last decade. But not only the technical basis, also our name will change.
The changes at a glance:
- In spring 2022, a new mobility data platform will go online: the Mobilithek. Compared to the MDM, it will offer enhanced functions and an improved user experience.
- The role of the National Access Point for mobility data will then transfer to the Mobilithek.
- There will be a convenient transition period for existing users of the MDM to switch to the Mobilithek. This period ends when the MDM stops operation.
- The BMVI’s mCLOUD will also be transferred to the Mobilithek from spring 2022.
What is the Mobilithek?
The Mobilithek is the new platform created by the Federal Ministry of Transport and Digital Infrastructure (BMVI) for the exchange of digital information from mobility providers, infrastructure operators and transport authorities as well as information providers. It merges the functions of the National Access Point for mobility data with those of the open data portal mCLOUD in order to offer users the best possible service.
A wide variety of data can be accessed and integrated into information services for travellers. For example, timetable data, real-time traffic information, locations of rental cars or rental bicycles and much more. In this way, the Mobilithek supports the development of the intelligent mobility and information services of tomorrow.
The Mobilithek will cooperate closely with the Mobility Data Space, which is also under construction. This will create transparency about the offers of the respective other platform. This is possible thanks to the technology of the International Data Space (IDS), which is used by both systems. We will inform you separately about the Mobility Data Space shortly.
Your advantages with the Mobilithek
- For you as a user, a smooth transition is ensured. There is no need to worry about downtime.
- Your usual contact persons will remain with you. The MDM User Group will also continue to be active.
- You will have access to the latest technologies such as the International Data Space (IDS). This gives you future security for your current and future services and projects.
- As with MDM, you will benefit from a high degree of neutrality, reliability and security that only a platform operated by the public sector can offer.
In the coming months, we will keep you up to date on the latest developments in the Mobilithek.
If you already have questions about the further development of the MDM, you can reach us here:
Bundesanstalt für Straßenwesen
51427 Bergisch Gladbach
+49 22 04 43-0
Dr. Lutz Rittershaus
VorSicht Atelier für Kommunikation
This post is also available in: Deutsch